Alpha S889 is a high viscosity, multi-purpose adhesive solution that has been formulated to bond such materials as natural and
synthetic rubber extrusions (including high styrene rubbers), PVC coated felts, upholstery fabrics and fibreglass to metal, wood or hardboard.
Principal application in the motor industry is for fixing door weather strips, facia coverings, parcel racks, floor coverings, glove boxes, and bonnet and boot insulation materials.
A relatively new application for S889 is in the bonding of rigid polystyrene foam to itself or to wall and ceiling surfaces as a heat insulation medium. When treating styrene foam, it is essential to observe the recommendations given below.
Alpha S889 meets the requirements of DEF STAN 80/57/3, Cement Rubber Resin No: 5.
Short open time
High solids content
Alpha S889 is suitable for the following applications:
- General purpose adhesive solution for a wide variety of materials
- Bonding typical materials used in upholstery and furniture
- Interior trim in the automotive and transport industries
- Bonding rigid polystyrene foam in the insulation industry
The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only. Therefore, the information should not be used for specification purposes.
* dependent upon ambient temperature, relative humidity and the materials used.
The performance data presented here has been determined by Alpha Adhesives & Sealants Limited standard test methods and are average values that should not be used for specification purposes. Our recommendations on the use of this product are based on tests believed to be reliable. It is advised that users conduct their own tests to determine the suitability of the product for their specific application.
HANDLING & APPLICATIONS
The general application information presented here is based upon typical conditions determined by Alpha Adhesives & Sealants Limited testing. Our recommendations on the use of this product are based on methods believed to be reliable. It is advised that users conduct their own tests to determine the suitability of the product for their specific application.
All substrates must be clean of any dust, grit, loose material, wax, grease and oil using Alpha T160 or a suitable cleaner. The materials to be bonded should be dry.
- Stir before use. Using a brush or spreader, apply an even coating of adhesive to both of the surfaces.
- Allow the solvent content to evaporate before bonding the materials (touch dry). This should be between 5 and 10 minutes after application under normal, ambient conditions.
- Bond the materials under light pressure.
Bonding Styrene Foam
- Brush or scrape an even coating of S889 onto both surfaces. Apply the adhesive sparingly to foam.
- Allow the adhesive to dry until the film is tacky. This is normally between 5 and 10 minutes under ambient conditions.
- Position the foam and bond under moderate pressure.
- Any solvent used to remove surplus adhesive from brushes, etc., must be kept away from the styrene foam. Contamination with solvents will dissolve the polystyrene.
The immediate high contact bond strength increases appreciably within the next 48 hours and will develop still further in service. For the best heat resistance, leave at room temperature for 7 days, before subjecting to high in-service temperatures up to 60°C.
Alpha Cleaner T160 should be used to remove residues from surfaces.
HEALTHY & SAFETY INFORMATION
Alpha S889 is classified as hazardous according to Directive EC 1272/2008. Please refer to the Alpha S889 Safety Data Sheet for further health & safety information.
Alpha S889 should be stored in its original container, with the lid tightly secured, in dry conditions and at temperatures between 5°C and 25°C. Alpha S889 will keep satisfactorily for up to 18 months from date of manufacture if stored according to the recommended conditions.
ISSUE : 4