Alpha S400 is a two part adhesive system based on natural rubber that has been developed to guarantee superior adhesion to a variety of natural and synthetic rubber surfaces utilized in the manufacture and repair of life-rafts and inflatable boats.
The cured adhesive has good resistance to attack from atmospheric oxidation, salt water, oil, mild acids and alkalis. It can be used in service over a wide temperature and humidity range.
Alpha S400 Part A is used in conjunction with S400 Part B in two part adhesive systems. Alpha S400 Part A does not contain toluene.
High performance adhesive system
Quick strength build up
Excellent adhesion to natural and synthetic rubbers
Salt water resistant
Wide in-service temperature range
Good resistance to atmospheric oxidation, oil, some chemicals, aviation fuels, mild acids and alkalis
Alpha S400 is suitable for the following applications:
- Inflatable liferafts and boats
- Inflatable escape chutes and slides
- General rubber products
- Numerous industrial applications
The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only. Therefore, the information should not be used for specification purposes.
* dependent upon ambient temperature, relative humidity and the materials used.
The performance data presented here has been determined by Alpha Adhesives & Sealants Limited standard test methods and are average values that should not be used for specification purposes. Our recommendations on the use of this product are based on tests believed to be reliable. It is advised that users conduct their own tests to determine the suitability of the product for their specific application.
HANDLING & APPLICATIONS
The general application information presented here is based upon typical conditions determined by Alpha Adhesives & Sealants Limited testing. Our recommendations on the use of this product are based on methods believed to be reliable. It is advised that users conduct their own tests to determine the suitability of the product for their specific application.
All substrates must be clean of any dust, grit, loose material, wax, grease and oil using Alpha T559 (TF). The materials to be bonded should be dry.
- Ensure that the S400 Part A has been stirred before use.
- Weigh 100 parts of S400 Part A with 7.5 parts of S400 Part B (by weight).
- Stir thoroughly for two minute until a creamy consistency is achieved. It is important that both parts of the Alpha S400 bonding system are thoroughly mixed prior to application on to surfaces.
- Using a brush or roller coater, apply an even coating of adhesive to both of the surfaces. Allow the coat to become touch dry (approximately 15 minutes).
- Position the substrates carefully and consolidate bond by firm even pressure over the whole area. A hand roller or rubbing stick is recommended wherever possible.
The immediate high contact bond strength increases appreciably within the next 24 hours. For the best performance and heat resistance, leave at room temperature for 7 days, before subjecting to high in-service temperatures up to 100°C.
Alpha Cleaner T559 (TF) should be used to remove residues from surfaces.
HEALTHY & SAFETY INFORMATION
Alpha S400 Part A and Alpha S400 Part B are classified as hazardous according to Directive EC 1272/2008. Please refer to the Alpha S400 Part A and Alpha S400 Part B Safety Data Sheets for further health & safety information.
Both components of the Alpha S400 bonding system should be stored in their original containers, with the lids tightly secured, in dry conditions and at temperatures between 5°C and 25°C. Alpha S400 will keep satisfactorily for up to 12 months from date of manufacture if stored according to the recommended conditions.
ISSUE : 3